Thursday 2 April 2015

'Hills Like White Elephants' - Ernest Hemingway

I have just read the short story ‘Hills Like White Elephants’ by Ernest Hemingway. A short story on an alcoholic American male trying to convince his partner Jig, to go forward with an abortion where as Jig is unsure on the whole situation. She questions whether this will fix their problems in their relationship and whilst they wait outside a train station to board the express train to Barcelona “it’s really an awfully simple operation Jig”, the man said. “It’s really not an operation at all.” This shows how the American tries to convince Jig, into having the abortion which also shows the main idea of being unsure of a difficult situation. “The girl looked at the ground the table legs rested on”, the author writes this to show how, Jig is still very unsure about the abortion. Jig then questions if she goes through with the abortion, it will fix their relationship, “Then what will we do afterwards?”, “We’ll be fine afterwards, just like we were before.” The American then says their relationship is only being distant because of his worry over the abortion. Jig then agrees to the abortion by saying “then I’ll do it. Because I don't care about me.”

Overall I really liked the story as the author tells the readers exactly what happens with people who are in this same situation, even in this century. Especially since I have been involved with people, friends, close friends who have been in this exact situation where I was asked to help my friend out as the person who she had been fooling around with, fled the scene and she did not trust anyone as I was the only one who was there for her. So I was forced to give her advice about the situation, about the abortion and the side effects which eventually led to her having an abortion. I had to understand how she felt and why she wanted to go through with the abortion. Because of this I was able to connect to the text, mentally and emotionally because I know exactly how the American man was feeling about having an unplanned pregnancy, and how he had to try to put himself into Jig’s shoes and understand how she was feeling about having an abortion. The only thing that I would have changed in this short story is that the couple reconsider their decision on having an abortion and go through with having the baby. The only reason I feel this way is because I am strongly against killing a child or any human life form whether that maybe in this life or the next. Even if Jig and the American man decide to go forward with the birth of the child, then giving the child up for adoption to a family close to them or someone they know that will take good care of the child.


My favourite thing about this story is that again, it relates to me personally and is exactly what is happening to people around me. The text also shows what is happening even today in this society, as women always will feel really unsure on what to do about having an abortion, “it’s really an awfully simple operation, Jig”, the man said. “it’s really not an operation at all.” “The girl looked at the ground the table legs rested on.” I really enjoyed reading how the author made the girl Jig, let the readers know exactly how and why she is going through with the abortion, firstly by her consuming alcohol while being pregnant. “What should we drink?” The girl asked. She had taken off her hat and put it on the table. “it’s pretty hot,” the man said. “let’s drink beer,” this shows that Jig is consuming in alcohol to show the readers that she is in favor of going onward with the abortion. But as the story goes on she becomes more weary of the situation and is not sure until they come to the conclusion of going onward with the abortion.

In my opinion I believe that the author’s main purpose in creating this Short story, is to target the minds of those who are using alcohol to the extent that their bodies cannot handle, because the outcome of misuse of alcohol responsibly could may well lead to unplanned pregnancies. Which is what I think happened to Jig, because she was intoxicated with alcohol. Seeing as in the story the author makes Jig and the American seem like alcoholics as they seem to be drinking a lot of alcohol. I believe this story was pointed at the amount of people getting abortions now days.


From reading the Short story Hills like White Elephants, I have learnt that when people consume too much alcohol, there will be consequences whether that may be vomiting, getting injured, and in Jig and the American’s situation, unplanned pregnancies. I have also learnt that unplanned pregnancies may also cause some troubles in the couples relationships. “Then what will we do afterwards?,” “We’ll be fine afterwards. just like we were before.” Even with the situation I was involved in, when my friend’s partner had impregnated her, their relationship was as high as the sky. Then as soon as they had the unplanned pregnancy the male fled the scene and left my friend on her own. This then caused her to dislike him very strongly and even made her lead to suicidal thoughts, but luckily I was there to help her out, we were able to get her through everything. This text has also shown how every woman who may have had an abortion does feel. The author emphasizes how Jig feels, because other girls may feel the same way about this seeing as my friend felt the exact same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment